Tuesday, June 10, 2008

Chapter 4

In chapter 4 about listening I really enjoyed the section on the behavioral component. It was interesting to read about back channels and to know that when people use “uh huh” and “ummms” that they are actually listening. I had always thought that this was a sign of not listening because I find myself doing that at times when I am hearing the person talk but my mind is off in another world. This usually happens when I am talking on the phone and I really have no idea what the other person is talking about so I usually use the “umms” and “uh huh”. Usually when I am talking to my sister she will use the “uh huh” and “ummms” but when I ask her opinion she will really elaborate so she is in fact listening to me. This is also something that happened to me in my workplace. I work at a coffee shop and a customer may ask for a double latte and I use”uh huh” so in the place I am listening to what the customer is asking of me.

No comments: