Wednesday, June 11, 2008

Chapter 5 Person Perception

A concept that I found to be very interesting in person perception which is in chapter 5. Person perception is defined as our attempt to determine what others are like and whether we like them. (p.35) This concept is interesting because it is something that everyone does pretty much on a daily basis. You may seen an individual walking down the street and you look at the person and try and determine what they are like. You may be able to tell that persons personality by the way they are dressed or b y the way they carry themselves. This is something that relates to my own interpersonal communication because this is something that I do often. I do not judge people for what they look like or what they wear but can get a sense of their background and their style of what they like.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I am so excited that you talked about person perception. I know I am famous for "people watching". Basically, I try to determine how that person is, what they like, what they do, and more (basically stereotyping, unfortunately) by the way they carry themselves. Like you said, I don't judge them, its just interesting to see if they live up to these expectations that you created. Personally, my favorite is when the go against any expectations I had created. But these person perceptions can give us a sense of how someone is.